Friday, January 30, 2015

Every Little Thing She Does

is Magic

So sings The Police

and its the same when motivating yourself in a goal.  And it doesnt have to be a fitness goal, or a weightloss goal.  It can be decluttering your home, or finishing a DIY project, or plans for a holiday.  Every little bit helps.

And thats my mantra (for the moment).

Every little thing I do is going to help me get to my weight loss goal.

So this week the little things have been simple.

DONT TAKE THE BUS when you can walk.
DONT TAKE THE LIFT - take the stairs

Two months ago if I had had to walk from my office in Willis Street to the top end of Lambton Quay I would have caught the bus - at a cost of $1.97 and a distance of 1.3km.
I walked it on Tuesday and it took me 11 minutes and 259 calories consumed.

Yesterday I took a half day from work and went to watch the Cricket - Black Caps vs Sri Lanka.  We lost but that was not a biggie.  Its a distance of 2.7 km from my office in Willis Street, to the Westpac Stadium on the waterfront.  Usually I would have caught a bus to the railway station - at a cost of $1.97 and then walked the last 500 metres.  Yesterday I walked it and it took me 28 min and i walked off 430 calories.

I've saved nearly $4 on travel budget - its not much but in the bigger scheme of things it has been one of those little things that help (its helped cut down my budgeted spend on travel costs for this month)

I've also pulled myself out of bed slightly earlier in the morning a couple of days this week and done walks along the beach front when its nice and cool.  




Not to mention getting out and enjoying our waterfront at lunchtime.  I have a circuit which starts from of my office building, across two busy roads then a good walk through Frank Kitts Park, along the water front to Macs Brewery, up the steps, across the over pass and down the stairs on the other side and into Civic Square then on back to work. Thats a 1.2 km walk which is, apart from being a nice midday stroll - not to heavy, not too light, its also a great way to have a break from my desk and computer and get some much needed vitamin D.

You also get to see things like

 The kids jumping off the wharf or

Where else in the world is there a piano on wheels ready for you to play if you feel like it - with a view like that.

Lastly there's the stairs.

Now we take up the 8th to 11th  floors (I'm on the 8th) of the State Insurance Building and I do know that taking the stair is really good for you rather than taking the lift.  BUT I'm not ready to climb all flights of stairs up to my floor from the bottom yet.  So to get myself ready to achieve that goal I make sure that every time I need to go up to any of our other floors I always take the stairs.  

It may only take a minute to go up one floor but thats 30 odd calories per floor every time.  So if i climb up and down those four flights of stairs at least once a day thats 100 calories each time - today I've done it twice.

So remember.  

It doesn't have to be a mammoth session at a gym.  It doesn't have to be a 10km bike ride or run. Small steps are the best way to start and every little thing you do counts towards the bigger picture.  

This weeks stats
Weight loss this week: 1kg
Total weeks since started: 3 weeks

Total weight lost since started: 3.8kg

2 comments: