Wednesday, June 03, 2015

BootsnAll

These are my favourite pair of boots that I own.  I adore them but I cant wear them.  Why? because of my body.  I carry too much weight which in turn puts too much pressure on my lower back when I wear heels that are more than just a couple of centimetres off the the ground. So much so that by the end of the day if I wear any high boot or shoe I am usually limping from the weight being distributed into my lower back and feet.  So I keep my heels small and thick rather than talk and spiky.  

Drool Drool Drool
Heaven help me if I even think about wanting to buy Stilettos. One day I will be able to wear these luffy things again and strut my stuff again.  In the meantime I have a wardrobe full of another 15 pairs of boots I can still wear instead.

Right now I'm daydreaming of more boots for winter so I best blink and get on with the real topic.

A year ago today I was in Hamilton for the week spending some I guess you could call it on a working holiday.  I had spent Queens Birthday in Edgecumbe catching up with a mate and wanted to stay in Hamilton for the week so I could attend a concert on the following Friday.  So I managed to get my Manager to approve me working from the Hamilton office for the week and talked my girlfriend Tanya into letting me crash at her place for a few nights.

On the Wednesday she talked me into attending boot camp with her.  I said yes - but oh boy was I in for it.  I nearly died - in fact Tanya nearly died from the evil looks I was giving her as I was being tortured with running and stretching and push ups and sit ups and all those other horrible things.  The worst thing was it was in public.  Boot camp was held at the side of a park by Hamilton Lake.  So EVERYONE in-sundry could see the big flat flabby me making a fool of herself trying to keep up with the other inmates, I mean trainees.
  Karina at Só Você (Only You) - Health & Fitness was so lovely and oh so patient with me. Tanya kept cheering me on even when I was way way WAY behind the rest of the group.  By the end of the session I was shattered.  I could hardly talk, let alone walk back to the car.  I think it would have been fairer if they had called me an ambulance to take me away.

Today it's a totally different story.  I love boot camp.  I am currently going two nights a week and a third session on Saturday morning.  There are so many things that have changed with my body and my mind since I first started with MSP  - Soul Fitness that its so enjoyable to be there.

I can do squats and hold them now - never used to be able to even bend my legs.  I would always "use my back as a crane".  Now I can squat for both exercise or just for picking up something from the ground (well it depends on how tight my trousers are lol) and pull myself back up again without even a big sigh.

I can do triceps dips.  You know those god awful things I told you about a month or so back where you have to lever your body up and down with your hands holding onto a box or bench behind you.


These horrible things
I can jog - heck I haven't jogged since I was forced to when doing the Cross Country event up Moonshine Hill Road back in college days.  But yes I can now jog.  I so shocked myself a few weeks back when my body just decided that a fast walk just wasn't fast enough anymore and it clicked into second gear and started going faster.  Albeit it is a very slog jog but I can maintain it for the times when required.

I think the biggest change in my fitness though is that all the torturous things that Ness and Henry put me through three times are week are getting easier.  The original 5kg kettle bell I was having an affair with has now been bumped up to a minimum of 8kg or 12kg depending on which exercise we are doing. I can do the kettle bell squat with the 12kg but not really coordinated enough to use it with the swings so cut back down to the 8kg for that.

In fact Ness actually came up to me last week during a workout and took the "light" set of weights off me and make me use a heavier set (I think it was 15kg weight on the bar instead of 5kg lol).  

And you know what.  I'm usually one of the first to arrive at Bootcamp (usually a good 10-15 min early).  I'm usually the first one to initiate the walking warm up (laps up and down the gym) each session and I think the only thing I can't get myself down to do yet is Bear Crawls.  Tis bad enough seeing my butt up in the air each time Ness takes a photo of me pushing the weight sleigh lol. Though she did compliment me the last time I complained that my butt was nowhere near as big as what it was when I first started.


See thats my big butt on the right

Oh and I can kind of "Plank" too 


I'm a Plank in disguise

- just not that straight yet - but boy its one hell of an achievement so far don't you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment