Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Weighing on my mind

OMG My back

Honestly was I stupid or what.

Yesterday I accepted and invitation to go and visit a boot camp style fitness group MSP-Soul-Fitness and participate in one of their sessions to see whether or not it would be a fit for me.

So I got picked up by the awesome Robbie (who I know from Lyall Bay Bowling Club). He drove me over to the Marist St Pats Gym in Kilbirnie and introduced me to Vanessa and Henry who run the group.  

MSP Soul Fitness is a casual fitness group.  It runs Mondays and Friday evenings at 6.30pm, Tuesday and Thursday mornings at 6am and Saturday mornings at 7am for 45 min to an hour.  You pay a fee of $5 a session or can buy a 10 trip ticket for $45.

So I did it.  I tried it out.  At first it wasn't too bad - 5 min of casual walking, 5 min of stretches and lunges to warm up.  I wasn't fast.  In fact I was the slowest but it was all about "at your own pace".  And you know what I wasn't the largest woman there.  There were a mix of old and young, big and small, tall and short, all levels' all sizes and apart from being nervous being the newbie I felt ok about being there.

Then because it was a gorgeous day outside we went out to the rugby field where we were split into two groups.  The first group (including lucky me) were told to run.  Run or jog around the rugby field for ten minutes, including small sprints at the end of each lap.  I didn't run, I didn't jog, i just walked it and Vanessa whispered to me i could be forgiven for not doing the sprints too - YAH me.  

So I made it around the circumference of the rugby field 3 times in that ten minutes.  A rugby field is 100m long and 69m wide, so calculating my distance

100 x 2 = 200
69 x 2 = 138

200 + 138 = 338

338 x 3 = 1014

therefore

I walked 1.014 km in ten min OMG that's the quickest I've walked. Usually 2km takes me half an hour.

It didn't stop there.

After a 2 min breather and a slug or two of water we swapped places with the other team and got to stand in front of heavens above - Barbells.


Right you lot Henry yelled out.  You have ten minutes to do sets of four different exercises and you cannot stop at all during any one set. You can only stop at the end of each set.  Away you go.

Ummmmmmmm

Me?? Lift weights? Seriously? ohhhhhhhhhhhkay.

So I did 10 reps of Front Deltoids Raises, 10 reps of Bicep Curls, 10 reps of Military Press, and 10 reps of Squats.  Actually I DID IT.  I did one set without stopping.  WOW.  I impressed myself.  I tried again and ok this time it wasn't as easy.  In fact by the third exercise I was struggling but I made it through and threw the barbell down on the grass.  

Took a break had a drink and said yes I can do this.  So I started a third set and UH HO my arms decided to protest and didn't want me to do anything other than actually lift the barbell up off the ground.  I pushed my way through the agony and managed to do the third exercise but just couldn't get the energy to complete the fourth so I snuck my barbell down before Henry had a chance to catch me.



FARRRRKK I was had it.  That took me 7 out of the 10 minutes to complete but others were still going and going good.  What I didn't realise and I guess it irked me a bit was that I had been lifting 15kg.  I would have hoped that someone would have come over and adjusted the weight for me being a newbie and all and explained how to lift correctly but they didn't. 


But there was still more to come.

Once the ten minutes was up then it was swappsies again for another 5 minutes of running - well walking for me.  Off I went. Around the field yet again.  My poor legs were killing me. I made it once around the circuit and then that was it, I was overdone.  I went to Vanessa and said that it was time for me to head off - I had to be at Roller Derby Scrimmage in 15 min.

So by the time I had done a 40 min boot camp session and spent 75 min doing Line Up Tracking and Jam Timing I was shattered.  I dreamt of having a bath but knew that if I found one to go soak in I'd never get out of it again without help lol.

Home, snack, shower, bed, asleep by 10.15.  Didn't even managed to watch the Phoenix play Melbourne.

Today I'm still feeling the pinch, especially in my back but I've decided I will go back, just not today. 

I'm thinking once a week to start with as a good easing in period until the weather changes and I cant get outside to walk or bike and then maybe twice a week will be the go.


Anyway I DID IT and I'm so proud of myself.

And in the end I WASN'T STUPID or What.  I was NUTS!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment