Sunday, February 22, 2015

The Scales of Judgement

Under the unforgiving Thanalan sun lie the ruins of an ancient temple half-devoured by the shifting sands of a timeless desert.  The Hall of Maat is where the judgment of the dead was performed. This was done by weighing one's heart (conscience) against the feather of Maat (truth and justice). The heart must not be heavier then the feather of Maat. This was not a physical weighing of the organ by living Egyptians, it was a ceremony that took place in the afterlife and was performed by the gods


These days we weigh ourselves against a different type of scale but still we judge ourselves wanting.

Weighing scales (usually just "scales" in UK and Australian English, "weighing machine" in South Asian English or "scale" in US English) is a measuring instrument for determining the weight or mass of an object.

A set of scales are a necessity when you are losing weight but they are not always a good thing to have around.  Especially where you can get free access to them day after day hour after hour.

Its a fascination that one just cannot stop.  

We are told; 

Weigh yourself at the same time every time you need to weigh yourself - usually first thing in the morning (after your first visit to the bathroom).  This is when you are at your most relaxed, most dehydrated and your most accurate weight.

We are also told

DONT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!


I went and purchased my own set of scales recently because I didn't trust the scales at work - they kept fluctuating too much for my liking every time I stood on them and it was hard to work out if i was losing any weight or not. 

So I went and purchased a set on special that did my weight, BMI and some other funky measuring that I haven't worked out.  This way I knew that I would be getting an accurate measurement of how I was doing. 


Thursdays are my official weigh in day and every Thursday so far except for this week I have lost weight.  There have been six Thursdays and for five in a row I had steadily lost weight until this week where to my horror I had put on 700 grams.  I didnt believe it.  I had to weigh myself 3 times over a 15 minute period because I was so upset that I had put on this weight.  I even made sure I went to the toilet again hoping that would help but nope.

I went through my day quite disappointed in myself.  

Now I know it happens, you gain weight to lose weight.  You gain muscles to lose fat but honestly for the first time in this change of lifestyle it really got me down.

Friday being the next morning I jumped on the scales again and YAH i had lost that gain and more. Saturday, bloody hell weight gain again, and this morning, well it was the same weight as yesterday.

Now I know the rules DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY but i see these scales every morning sitting in my bathroom on the floor saying "Hi Jo wanna peek at yourself today?" and I cant say no.  


Oh Crap

Hi My name's Jo and I am an Addict. 



No comments:

Post a Comment